Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Grad Dinner


Last night we had our Grad Dinner (not to be confused with the RAD Dinner) where we celebrate our seniors, most of whom will be leaving us in the next week. We got to host 17 of our seniors for a semi-formal dinner. After serving up some filet  mignon, salmon and seasoned chicken (yum) John pulled out Oh, the Places You'll Go by Dr Seuss to read to the grads. It's sort of become his tradition to do so.

Afterward, John opened the floor up to the students to share how being a part of The Rock has made an impact on their lives. Here are some things they had to share.

"Without being a part of The Rock, I probably would have gone through college complacent about my faith."

"Being a part of The Rock has definitely helped me be more on fire for God."

"The Rock helped give me the opportunity to lead and take ownership of my faith."
"I always felt loved and supported by people at The Rock."


It was very encouraging to see younger guys and girls share about how God took a hold of their lives while in college. So many of them are now set up to make an impact for the Lord in their next communities, workplaces and mission fields. And this group is going places, whether it's the business field, a two-year African mission trip, teaching, or to Memphis serving as co-laborers with the Service Over Self inner-city ministry, they are going to do great.

It's one of the most bittersweet things we do, but as a campus church, it's in our DNA to make disciples and be at peace with sending them out to bring the gospel to the nations. I had five members of my canvas group there last night and, although I will miss their presence and leadership, I'm encouraged that they will do great in their endeavors and pray that they continue to live for the Lord.

Please join me in praying for our seniors as they leave us and go begin the next chapter in their journey.

No comments: