Wednesday, August 8, 2012

No Quick Fix

This is an interesting little insight to life in college ministry written by Jackie Knapp in a contribution article for the Gospel Coalition.

"Instead of discovering the quick fix, I am slowly learning how Jesus lived and loved as He lead his motley crew of disciples should be the heartbeat behind my ministry, and that there is not some hidden secret I am going to find. “This is my commandment that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends” (John 15:12-13). This is the way He calls us to live, with whoever is in our lives. In my particular context, there aren’t flashy programs or easy substitutes for the time, energy and love it takes to build relationships with students starting with a foundation of friendship."

It's definitely true that in our instant-gratification society, there is a strong emphasis on what the "best" program is for ministries to "win followers". My prayer is that I ever remained focused that there are no easy solutions to sharing the gospel in college ministry or in any other context, really. 

Please be praying for the students that God wants me to pursue this fall and begin building relationships with.

Chris

You can read the full article here

No comments: